Thursday, January 12, 2017

Buddah Bowl

This blog is a resource for me to list all of my recipes that I have made with the Nutrition Challenge guidelines.  My hope is that in week 3 and 4 when I start losing enthusiam about what to make for dinner I can look back on these and remake them or get inspired to make something with a new twist. 
I started off the Nutrition Challenge with weekly food shopping trips to the Wegmans in Northborough.  They have a huge variety of fruits, veggies, and organic grassfed fish and meats which helps keep my recipes unique and tasty.  Another plus is the fruits and veggies last an entire week which is 4-5 days longer than Stop & Shop or Trader Joes.  Wegmans is slightly more expensive but, the cost evens out when you are throwing out half a container of strawberries because of mold from other stores.

Day One
Buddah Bowl
RATINGS  Me:10  Husband:Out of Town  Kids:0 plus a yuck
Buddah Bowls are easy to make its basically a salad but hipsters gave it a new name.  Buddah Bowls usually have grains, protein, veggies, nuts/dressing.  Instead or grains I used homemade toasted nuts.

Recipe
Prep Time: 20 min  Total Time: 20 min Servings: 2
 Ingredients
  • 1 fried egg
  • 2 hand fulls spinach 
  • 1 cup shredded chicken*
  • 1 avocado
  • 5 radishes sliced**
  • 1 cup broccoli steamed or raw
  •  1/2 cup raw nuts (I used a combo of almonds, walnuts, and pecans)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil divided
  • 1 cup loosely packed cilantro
  • 1/4 cup lime juice (2 limes)
    1/2 jalapeno, chopped
  • 1 small clove garlic, minced
    salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
 1. With your knife crush the nuts into pieces and lay on a baking sheet and toast at 300 degrees for 8 minutes or until they start to brown
2. Meanwhile add all of the ingredients from the olive oil to the salt and pepper into the food processor and blend to make the dressing.
3.  Add dressing to buddah bowl and there should be dressing leftovers

Notes
*At the beginning of the week I add about 8 chicken breasts into the crock pot with 1 cup of water, salt, pepper, onion chunks, scallions, and carrots and cook on low for 8 hrs.  When done I shred it and let cool then bag it into individual serving sizes and freeze to use for the week

**To add flavor I tossed my radishes in olive oil, spriknled with pepper and toasted them on a baking sheet at 400 degrees for 15 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment